Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Connecting

In an age of self checkouts, pay-at-the-pump, and instant everything, it's easy to lose a sense of community, of accountability in the day to day errands we run. How often do I leave a grocery store or gas station and reflect on the fact that it's very possible no one knew I was there? Sometimes I feel as if I live life in a cushioned bubble of my own making, interacting only with the people I know and with whom I am comfortable.

Yet today, Loretta knows I got my car washed.

Loretta is an amazing woman who in less than ten minutes time, shared her intriguing life story complete with military balls, grandma stories, the loss of her husband, and moving to a retirement home. Her positive, tender spirit left me speechless.

A divine appointment, I realized as I drove away. God knew from the beginning of time that we both needed that connecting moment to share and listen.

So, thanks God, for sending Loretta. The world seems just a little bit smaller.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

friend, i just love it!

i sorta had the same sentiments a while ago....although not as well put. did you read my post on julio?

i just love you with a fierceness:).

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Steph said...

Sarah,

It is my sheer pleasure to call you my sister.

Steph

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home