Thursday, September 21, 2006

Leaves for the Blind

I have been noticing that Melinda (a 7 year old student) has found a new recess hobby. She collects fallen leaves from trees and brings them to the teacher of her choice - you may be surprised what an honor it is to receive one.

I have observed though that the leaves she brings me have dozens of tiny holes in them. I assumed they were evidence of hungry bugs - I assumed incorrectly. Today, I saw firsthand what occurs just prior to the leaf gift-giving. She picks up the leaves, carries them to and places them on the blacktop. She then takes a stick and proceeds to poke tiny holes in each one. Now knowing her meticulous effort, I complimented Melinda on the artistic value of the leaves:

"Wow, Melinda. I love the texture of these leaves! You probably had to work pretty hard on them."

"Thank you. I really make them for blind people. They're in Braille."

She has such insight - every blind person's dream come true is a leaf...in Braille.

3 Comments:

At 10:15 PM , Blogger Steph said...

that is the cutest thing! Thats awesome!
I miss you my dear friend.

 
At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are great aren't they! Thanks for your comment...and let me know if you would like to order a custom-made leaf. I know how you like to have things to share with people:).

 
At 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you speak about and to your children. :) I also would have assumed the holes were bug holes, but after seeing her poke holes in them, I would have asked her why she was poking holes in the leaves (which could be taken as a criticism). Your way is so much better. It creates a positive atmosphere wherein the child can feel affirmed and safe to share at the same time. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home