Wednesday, June 08, 2011

The Moon in My Back Yard

It started innocently enough. With this question, "If you got your tax return in the fall, would you spend it any differently?" This question was posed to me by someone who had a vested interest in what is the most commonly associated event with autumn - the falling of foliage in the yard. Now let me be clear, I am not afraid of yardwork. It's just that 6 months of raking does seem excessive. Not exaggerating...6 months.

The answer to the originally asked question is a resounding YES. I would pay to remove the offending trees from my back yard. Proceed to the solution. 10 estimates later, I have my tree removal guy and a removal date. As Tony and I talked dates and cost, he cautiously mentioned, "There will be some yard damage when we bring the Bobcat in here." I casually glanced at the random tufts of grass in my back yard and stated confidently, "I'm not too concerned about that. Just want the trees gone."

My wish was granted. 5 trees gone. And so is my yard. It's like a giant sandbox back there...literally. The dogs are confused - where did their grass go? As Tony says, it's like walking on the moon. Thick layers of fine powder...and no grass, no weeds, no green anything. A barren landscape with only the hammock trees to give it life.

Was it worth it? Definitely. Am I daunted by my next unforseen project of grass planting and raising? Certainly. Am I entertained by the fact that I get to walk on the moon in my own back yard? Unspeakably so. All in all, a truly memorable occasion.

1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

And just to think, you can now see the moon better because of your lack of trees!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home